Green Hammer is a green design-build firm in Portland Oregon. With over a decade of design-build experience, we know that consistent results come from a clear and consistent process, and the best results come from a unified team of diverse experts. For this reason we developed our Unified Design-Build Process, which is a step-by-step manual complete with narratives on process intent and worksheets to train and guide our project teams to be effective and efficient when delivering consistent design-build services across a wide range of often complex projects. We embrace this approach and the incredible synergies a fully integrated and focused team provides. From the initial project development and estimation phase through the design build and post occupancy follow through, every step of our Unified Design-Build Process helps ensure that the team clearly understands all critical project goals, including budget and timeframe goals. A clear and effective process allows each member of the team the clarity to focus on their strengths and expertise and create the best results.
Green Design Build Teams - Cost-Effective and Efficient
As a green design-build firm, we know that waste is often caused by a lack of knowledge and clarity about how to best deliver, utilize or execute a system or plan.
In an effective design-build process, the client works together with their design-build team under a single contract from project conception through final completion. Green Hammer's Unified Design Build Process integrates and continuously aligns our multi-disciplinary team of architects, designers and construction experts to fuse cutting-edge design build concepts with state-of-the-art building science to deliver the highest and most inspiring results—effectively, efficiently, on time and on budget.
The converse approach is design-bid-build, where a project is designed and build under separate contracts. A key criticism with design-bid-build is that each phase tends to happen in a silo. This process is unclear and inconsistent. The design phase is completed without valuable input from the construction professionals to optimize constructability, and the construction phase is lacking adequate involvement from the architects. Even in some cases where an architecture firm engages a contractor "early on" there is usually minimal process guidance and designs are often misaligned with budgets. The design phase is a critical time to determine ways to save cost, reduce waste, optimize and innovate for efficiency. These opportunities are often missed in a traditional design-bid-build contract. During the building stage, critical design elements are often cut or missed, including opportunities to improve aesthetics, building health or building performance.
The Historical Roots of Design-Build
A green design-build firm is not a new concept; in fact it's the most ancient form of project delivery in the construction industry. Originally coined 'master builder', design builders and their unified teams have created some of the world's most significant architectural works. The most renowned buildings in Rome were designed and built by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Francesco Borromini, geniuses of design-build who defined the Roman Baroque era with great works, such as the Piazza San Pietro and the church of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza. Their design-build brilliance came from their artistic passion for creating inspiring work to elevate the human spirit and an instinctive drive to set and raise the highest standards. It's this essence of Bernini, Borromini, and countless others in the great history of design-build that inspires the culture of our unified team.
Optimizing for Modern Living
The world has evolved since the days of Bernini and Borromini. Today it's not enough to create functional masterpieces of art. We must also optimize for indoor air quality, energy efficiency, water conservation, comfort and durability. We must design and build faster and more effectively than ever before. We must eliminate waste and toxics, simplify our processes, and source locally. At Green Hammer, we are a green design-build team of artists, engineers, craftsmen, and facilitators with a passion and innate drive to inspire, create, perfect and continually elevate the results of our work. As a unified green design-build firm, we create the greatest value for our clients while we build prosperity for life.
The Best Results for Clients
Worldwide, the design-build approach has proven to be the fastest, most cost effective way to create the best results for construction clients.
- Independent studies show that a unified design-build delivers buildings 33% faster overall and for 6% less cost than the standard design-bid-build method.
- By integrating expertise in architecture, construction, building-science, and conservation from project inception, green design-build teams streamline decision-making and more rapidly mobilize project implementation and completion.
- A singular contract process reduces time spent in negotiations.
- The green design-build approach can overlap design and construction phases with more concurrency to optimize project completion.
Lower Overall Project Cost:
- The design-build process reduces cost by saving on the amount of time spent on the overall project.
- A singular contract means less money is spent on administrative overhead.
- Early integration of multidisciplinary experts in the design phase allows for optimal value engineering to reduce project costs.
- The continuous involvement of the design team throughout the project improves quality control and quality assurance execution on the intended design and helps discover and work through potential enhancements.
- Innovations in the green design-build process are more effectively implemented because they are fashioned for the building team's expertise and capabilities.
- Clients in a single contract design-build process are not placed between the contractor and the designer if an issue arises. Errors or omissions in a unified design-build process clearly land on the design-builder who is accountable for all associated risks. This relieves the client of any responsibility to manage conflict or legal burdens.
- The potential for errors or omissions is reduced by streamlining communication and feedback from the green build team during the design phase of the project.
- Prior to project completion, any and all concerns are clearly resolved by the green design-build team therefore reducing the potential for claims and litigation due to negotiating liabilities in a multiple contract process.
An Enjoyable Process:
- We can't speak for all green design-build firms, but with Green Hammer you get the same sharp, fun, and easy folks from beginning to end.
- We delight in making construction projects fun and simple for our clients to transition them into raving fans and lifetime members of the Green Hammer family.
- Learn more about our values, our purpose, our principles, our interests, our expertise, our inspiration, and us.